The following professional qualifications standards core JPRs were considered when developing this professional designation:
- NFPA 1041, Standard for Fire Service Instructor Professional Qualifications, 2012 Edition
- Chapter 1 – Administration
- Chapter 2 – Referenced Publications
- Chapter 3 – Definitions
- Chapter 4 – Instructor I
The IAAI-CI certification must be renewed every three years.
Why earn the IAAI-CI certification?
Designation as an IAAI-CI has many advantages, including:
- Acknowledgement by an independent body that the instructor has demonstrated competence on the applicable professional qualification standards for Fire Service Instructor.
- Recognition by an independent body that the instructor possesses a minimum level of education, work experience, training, and practical teaching/facilitation experience.
- Verification that the instructor possesses a minimum level of fire investigation knowledge as measured by a standardized, comprehensive examination.
- Demonstration, through the recertification process, that the individual is keeping current with their training and professional knowledge development.
- Measurement of these achievements using a standardized mechanism, as set by the IAAI-CI Committee.
How do I become an IAAI-CI?
To become an IAAI-CI, the applicant must:
- Complete an extensive application that includes providing documentation of meeting the minimum program requirements of 150 points including minimum point thresholds in education and work experience; training (required and elective), and practical teaching/facilitation experience. With the exception of education and work experience and instructor training courses, all material submitted for credit should be for teaching/training completed within the five year period immediately preceding the application. The specific requirements are as follows.
- Education and Experience: (Minimum of 30 points)
- Training: (Minimum of 70 points, one point per hour of testing), including required training:
- Instructor Training Course (minimum of 24 contact hours)
- CFITrainer.Net® – “Ethics and the Fire Investigator” Module (3 hours)
- CFITrainer.Net® – “The Scientific Method for Fire and Explosion Investigation” Module (3 hours)
- Practical Teaching Experience: (Minimum 30 points)
- Reference Evaluation: (Minimum 10 points)
- Achieve a passing score of 75% on the comprehensive examination as established by the IAAI.
To obtain the Member discount rate, a non-Member may choose to join IAAI prior to filing the IAAI-CI application. Once you have submitted the application, it will be reviewed by the IAAI-CI Committee. If the application is approved, you will then be provided with instructions on how to take the examination. If the application is not approved, you will be advised of the appeals process. For detailed information on the full process of the IAAI-CI program, please read the International Association of Arson Investigators Certified Instructor (IAAI-CI) Program Manual.
You do not have to be a member of the IAAI or any chapter to apply for the IAAI-CI professional designation.
I already hold the IAAI-CI designation and need to renew. What do I do?
Download and complete the IAAI-CI Renewal Application. Return the application with the associated fee according to the instructions. (US$125 for IAAI members, US$375 for non-members). Please note that individuals who are members of a local chapter only do not qualify for the IAAI Member rate.
Quick Links to Important Documents for the IAAI-CI Program:
- IAAI-CI Application
- IAAI-CI Renewal Application
- IAAI Membership Application
- International Association of Arson Investigators Certified Instructor (IAAI-CI) Program Manual
- IAAI-CI Study Reference List:
- Recommended Reference Sources for IAAI Certified Instructor Exam:
- International Fire Service Training Association (2006), Fire and Emergency Service Instructor, 7th Edition; Stillwater, OK: Fire Protection Publications, Oklahoma State University.
- Additional Useful Reference Sources:
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.